Meeting Materials and Information
ABOUT RI MEETINGS
Recovery International meetings provide a safe space to receive guidance, fellowship, acceptance, and support from peers with similar problems. All meetings follow Dr. Low’s RI Method that addresses the underlying cause of most symptoms. With Dr. Low’s knowledge and encouragement from their peers, participants learn to spot their angry and fearful temper and use their will-power to overcome their symptoms to lead productive, healthier lives.
All Recovery International self-help, peer-support meetings follow these 5 parts:
- Reading – The group reads from one of Abraham Low’s books or listens to one of the recorded lectures. At some meetings participants highlight parts of the reading that were especially meaningful to them. Order Your Books Now!
- Examples – Meeting participants take turns describing an event from everyday life that caused distress. They explain how they used Recovery International tools to address their discomfort and control their responses.
- Spotting – After each example, other members offer comments, referred to as “spotting,” that highlight the example-giver’s successful use of Recovery International tools and suggest other “spottings” that also could have been used.
- Mutual Aid – This is a time for informal discussion about how participants are using the Recovery International tools. It is a good time to ask the group leader or a veteran member to help develop an example to share at a later meeting, or to ask questions about specific Recovery International “spottings” that were discussed.
- Voluntary Contributions – Participants are asked at each meeting to help support the organization via voluntary contributions, with the suggested donation being $5 per meeting. If an attendee isn’t able to contribute, that should not deter him or her from attending Recovery International meetings.
Before attending your first meeting, please familiarize yourself with the Meeting Materials below. If you plan on participating in ANY Recovery International self-help group (Community, Telephone or Online), you will need the following materials during your meetings. Click on each link to download or print (Headquarters does not mail these items):
- Basic Concepts
- A Sampling of Tools and Terms
- How An Example Should Be Constructed
- Example Worksheet
- What you Can Expect at a RI Meeting
- Book Order Form
It is best to start your readings with Dr, Low’s Mental Health Through Will Training and Manage Your Fears Manage Your Anger. If you are interested in attending the condensed RI Discovery meetings you may want to purchase the RI Discovery Workbook and the Wisdom book. These books, along with all of Dr Low’s books, can be purchased anytime at website’s Store page.